BEWARE OF SPECTACULAR COMPUTER REPAIR
BEWARE.Spectacular Computer Repair which goes under other names (i.e., B2B IT, Leiser Enterprises, Spectacular Stuff, LLC) is DEFINITELY INCOMPETENT and may be dishonest.
I found “Spectacular” through Thumbtack. Wayne, whose card says CTO, offered to evaluate my laptop for $75 at my home. Upon arrival, he required my signature on a contract before he would look at my laptop, which he VERY quickly verbally reviewed. This was unusual.
Most vendors do not do this. There is a reasonable expectation between the parties that the vendor will provide service for which the buyer will pay and the vendor will stand behind their work. I should have been suspicious. Wayne then proceeded to identify problems using the internal Event Log (this is similar to what the Microsoft Windows scammers do).
HE DID NOT CHECK THE RAM OR HARD DRIVE even though he could have used something like Ultimate Boot CD (which is free) to run a quick check of the RAM on site. Again, I should have been suspicious. He proposed a charge of $295 for the repair, which included replacing Kaspersky anti-virus software with Malwarebytes (an anti-malware application). He then took the laptop to his shop.
24 hours later he returned the laptop declaring that he had worked on it late into the night. Then he had me purchase Malwarebytes ($39.95) on line. I then proceeded to open a Word document and immediately the laptop crashed due to a memory error. THIS DEFINITELY CONFIRMS THAT WAYNE DID NOT CHECK RAM OR THE HARD-DRIVE AT HIS SHOP.
He said I had to get new memory from Lenovo. I asked that he assist me with the call for which he charged me $40. Total paid to Wayne was $335. Lenovo sent the memory which I then had installed by a Lenovo dealer in Tampa.
That took 5 minutes. While there I had them review Wayne’s handwritten almost unintelligible Evaluation Report. They informed me that the “problems” (codes) he had found were all fixable on site and some were not even problems and that the $335 charged was outrageous. (Wayne had also offered to replace the memory card once received for another $125).
They further stated that replacing Kaspersky with Malwarebytes was just flat wrong as Malwarebytes is not a complete suite of antivirus software.
Hence, he left my computer vulnerable to attack.Noteworthy, is that shortly after I disputed the $335 charged to my credit card my email address book was hacked.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- Bad quality
- Preferred solution:
- The $335 repair charge to my credit card has been disputed. No further action required.
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Spectacular Computer Repair Services
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I finally received the childrens learning tablet today, as I suspected its a piece of Garbage lights dont work, scratches, black marks all over it, rust marks in the screw..."
- "I had placed an (dell laptop) order 103-1253225-4398657 on Amazon on 1st of october costed me around 62250 INR ($948) and its been 23 days, I have not received my product..."
- "Laptop advertised in paper ad and on Internet from Walmart for $549. Found out can only order on line. Click on ad and took me to Walmart's site..."
- "Technician flooded my condo and 2 others, damaged 5 total. Stayed in 3 hotels for 42 days. Frontier's insurance "CNA"=rude, no sympathy, no empathy. Received money from MY renters insurance...."
- "Lies, lies, lies, + bs, more, lies and topped off with yea u guessed it L I E S. This site has asked me to enter at least 100 words I'm..."
- "Opened a letter today stating it was a 3rd. notice and is seriously late from Quest Diagnostics, it is a bill for the amount of $1462.08 for lab work that..."
- "In short I have had a pair of lucky jeans for over ten years still my favorite. Baught 3 new pairs 3 months ago and they fell apart. old tag..."
- " Last week my KitchenAid (owned by Whirlpool) microwave oven ceased to function. It is a high end appliance with a retail cost in the neighborhood of $550. I investigated the..."
- " I purchased two tickets was charge for for leaving my bank account overdrawn by $13 not knowing until the end of the park I checked as I took my..."